Sunday, March 16, 2008

happy 100

i have been out of town ....on a fabulous trip with my mr.e.beck.artist ......i've never called him that before ... but i'm thinking it might stick ...... 

here's a cute story about him .... i was sitting at a poolside/beachside/sunnyside restaurant in cancun mexico with five friends .... we were well into our second hour of a long leisurely lunch .... when we saw mr.e.beck.artist, back from a golf outing, walking around the pool looking for meeeeee ..... each of us called him in turn.... his name....whistles .... and he never looked up .... then i yelled ...hey, cute boy .... and he looked right up at me ..... cute mr.e.beck.artist was there as the third hour of my lovely sunny lunch drifted by ......he answers to cute boy .... i like that .... very good thing he doesn't read my blog, huh? 

so....i'm back ....and happy ... the happy bit isn't new ...i'm usually happy .... i daresay i'm happier than most people .... nothing i do special ... i think it's just the way i'm made .... but, i'm happy to be home to my sweet children .... and my dog .... when i saw each child come out to greet us while we were getting things out of our car, my heart gave a little squeeze ...hooray! all safe and sound .... and then? i saw so carrying the dog ... and i NEVER missed the dog while i was away!!! what's up with that ... last week when we were on spring break i missed the dog a ton .... thought about her often ..... but nope, not this time .... sadly, i think i was just too busy dancing in cancun to miss her .... sorry, little dog! 

so, before i left on my trip ... i was on an icelandic (i think? ) blog ... that i can't find now!!! and the blogger was writing down 100 things that made her happy .... and she had 87 ..... and it got me wondering ....if every person on the planet had to write down 100 things that made them happy, would they all be different .... or even five things ..... like, flip flops, singing along to 80s music, guacamole, australians, and beaches .... those are five happies about my weekend .....  wouldn't everyone on my trip write a different happy list even though we were all on the same trip .... 

so, it's kind of like dna .... a defining list .... that's uniquely YOU ..... when i made my list of 100.... i had 187 .... so then i had to add 188, not following directions.... and today....as i started to post ... i added australians ... cause i spent a good amount of time with australians this weekend ......are all australians so fun? i sure hope so ..... that's a nice idea, a whole country full of funny and happy ...... anyway.... here's my list... my dna of happiness .... it's already changed since i wrote this a week ago .... i could delete  a couple .... add about 50 more..... but ... for now .... here it is ......

My happy 100

  1. my family
  2. living in a white picket fence house with my favorite people
  3. my tiny dog (her size is part of why I love her so)
  4. walking the dog
  5. dog dancing for treats
  6. bagels
  7. art days with Allison (these are not in any order, I love  Allison more than bagels)
  8. my pals…especially d, c, a, t, m
  9. tennis
  10. the sound of new tennis balls being opened
  11. clogs
  12. sneakers
  13. boots
  14. orange shoes (especially clogs, sneakers and boots)
  15. messy paint days
  16. fresh new paint brushes
  17. reading the paper in the morning
  18. letting my kids read the comics first
  19. reading
  20. book club
  21. staying really late at book club
  22. carpooling
  23. bananas
  24. grapes
  25. watermelon
  26. oatmeal raisin cookies
  27. my lovely husband liking to cook
  28. dinner not cooked by me
  29. my little boy saying, can I make dinner?
  30. my littlest girls saying, can I make cookies?
  31. my big girl not really caring about being in the kitchen, just like me
  32. summer vacation
  33. road trips
  34. travel journals
  35. family journals
  36. bags of journaling goodies
  37. sharpies
  38. buttons
  39. new glue sticks
  40. new socks
  41. new tshirts
  42. old sweats
  43. andy’s gym shorts (on me)
  44. rain
  45. rainbows
  46. rainboots
  47. my three children in raincoats and rainboots walking to school because I’m militant about walking
  48. holding my little one's hand when I walk her to school
  49. playgrounds
  50. swings
  51. creeks
  52. tadpoles
  53. fishtanks
  54. going to aquariums
  55. snorkeling
  56. turtles
  57. zoos
  58. elephants
  59. green
  60. big ole’ gaudy rings
  61. ladybird pendants
  62. silver earrings
  63. roses
  64. sunflowers
  65. gerbera daisies
  66. daffodils
  67. poppies ( I could have conserved numbers if I’d just said flowers, but there are a few I’m not partial to)
  68. Mona Lisa
  69. Leonardo DaVinci
  70. Matisse
  71. Van Gogh
  72. Cubism
  73. Andy Warhol
  74. dinner parties
  75. swimming pools
  76. the beach
  77. nieces and nephews
  78. new babies
  79. pillows
  80. flashlights
  81. bungee cords
  82. bike rides
  83. watching my children play sports
  84. driving golf carts
  85. keys
  86. games (I could take up 20 numbers here listing my favorites …. I could maybe even do a top 100 game list.)
  87. taking the kids to the grandparents
  88. my happy childhood memories
  89. very nice brothers
  90. planning ahead for my 20th anniversary celebration
  91. giving gifts
  92. homemade gifts
  93. watching tv in the evenings (I could fill up a dozen spots with favorite shows.)
  94. Time magazine
  95. Sports Illustrated
  96. Cloth, Paper, Scissors
  97. Lego
  98. Dolls
  99. Children’s books
  100. Folk art
  101. Art Fairs
  102. Elton John
  103. Cheryl Crowe
  104. John Denver (since I was 10, sorry)
  105. Jimmy Buffett
  106. 80s music
  107. Dancing with my husband
  108. Front porches
  109. Porch swings
  110. Hard wood floors
  111. Air conditioning
  112. My church
  113. My women’s group
  114. Kanuga
  115. Teaching children
  116. Sunday school
  117. Telling stories
  118. 20/20 vision
  119. cool sunglasses
  120. soccer
  121. sharpies
  122. skates
  123. footstools
  124. poptarts
  125. twizzlers
  126. edamame (how did this not get mentioned til way down here?)
  127. mr. potato head
  128. Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves
  129. Kevin Bacon in Footloose
  130. Going for walks with someone
  131. Blue nail polish
  132. Pedicures
  133. Mexican restaurants
  134. Museums
  135. Family memberships
  136. Christmas
  137. Seafood
  138. Sandcastles
  139. Fishing
  140. Nets
  141. Boats
  142. My husband in a row boat (he's not a skilled boat dude)
  143. My camera
  144. My computer
  145. Flickr
  146. Blogs
  147. Twins Loop
  148. Pottery
  149. The Alphabet
  150. Angels
  151. Framed family photos
  152. Children laughing
  153. Knock knock jokes
  154. Monkey Ball
  155. Webkins Cash Cow
  156. e.e. cummings
  157. shel silverstein
  158. ribbons
  159. bingo cards
  160. bottle caps
  161. bells
  162. reliable, roomy cars
  163. ok, my mini van
  164. sunsets
  165. full moons
  166. seashells
  167. seahorses
  168. mickey mouse
  169. tinkerbell
  170. dopey
  171. chapstick
  172. cloth napkins
  173. diet coke (OH! Now you know it isn’t in any particular order!)
  174. root beer
  175. gingerale
  176. spearmint
  177. wintergreen
  178. butterscotch
  179. taking a class
  180. writing
  181. lists (ha, I’m thinking of my to do list, but this is certainly a grand list to not make a showing til 181!)
  182. art books
  183. apple mango tango detergent (mark taught me about that)
  184. corn chowder (thanks dave)
  185. backpacks
  186. colorful bandaids
  187. hearts
  188. not following directions 
  189. people from australia
....so there you go..... my happy list ....
feel free to make your own ... tell me if you do .... i'll add a link to it ... i'd love to see your happy dna ..... or .... if you don't have a blog ...or don't want to do your own humongo list, just leave five happies in the comments .... by all means, share your happy! 

and... speaking of happiness .... if you haven't joined my contest, please do .... deadline, march 22 ..... stick a link to it in your own blog if you want ... the more the merrier of course .... 

happiness to you and yours ... tomorrow, once i unpack a bit, i will definitely do art and post art ... see you then ..... 


late edit...or is it a ps ..... go read this post on mice and moonbeams...... 

and... now weeks later .... donna at mice and moonbeams has made her own happy 100.....

another late edit ... i found the blogger who wrote the list that inspired mine....go to soul glo ...

up to the minute info: 3rd eye muse made a happy 100 list .....

15 comments:

Heidi said...

Love your list! But, then, I'm a list lover too! Loved the fact that one of the things that made your list was bottle caps, made me feel better, as I felt pretty stupid for mailing bottle caps to you...now I feel smart! LOL If't funny, but my list would be way different that yours, it would include a few things but not a huge amount.... I hope to one day make a list...soon... Glad you ahd a fun trip!
*Heidi*

Vallen said...

Cancun, my old home. Lived right downtown for seven years and I am still envious of people who get to go visit. I hope you have a rockin' tan, you and Cute Boy.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

great 100...i have missed so much lately...thank you for being so supportive...hugs and happy st. paddy's day...rebecca

Darla said...

Ohhh, I spotted e.e.cummings down there a ways. You'd think I would have put 2 and 2 together from your sig. He's a long time favorite of mine.

Darla

Anonymous said...

like the list
hey I like John Denver too -- he is on my ipod!
and ee cummings is my fave poet and I am not into poetry much

glad you are home
Jeannie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
scrapworking said...

Wow, what a list! Reminds me to make my own list of happiness. Here's a quick 5 things that are making me happy right now: weekend without deadlines, clean house, my digital camera, the encouragement of artfully minded friends, and creme brulee coffee!

3rdEyeMuse said...

I'm so glad that I was catching up with "mice and moonbeams" and clicked the link - what a fun and fabulous post! Thanks for sharing & for the big grins. :)

allison strine said...

oooh! I love this list!!! I'm going to make one too!!!

3rdEyeMuse said...

hmmm ... only took just over a month to post my own happy 100. :)

Marie said...

Lovely!

I made a list too. It was a bit of a challenge for me, actually. Perhaps I was too general in some of my early ones and covered too much too soon :)

aimee said...

i just found this post yesterday and i think you've convinced me! look for my own list of happies sometime soon...xoxo

cath c said...

i have to make a list, too!

re john denver: my most embarassing moment: 6th grade talent show i tap danced to thank god i'm a country boy. and that wasn't what was most embarassing about it....

e.beck.artist said...

cath! spill the beans ... what was the most horrid bit?

Anonymous said...

You must really love sharpies (#s 37 and 121). I am also a fellow John Denver fan! I loved your list, e.
Jodie