Tuesday, April 8, 2008

big yellow art day...with some raw umber

i finally unpacked my mess in my studio ... away at an art workshop all last week, home since friday, but didn't get to it til today .... it was well organized in the bags and boxes and bins ....so not too hard to put away ..... wish i could say the same about the suitcase that appears to have thrown up on my closet floor ..... and remains there still ..... soon..... i'll do that soon .... maybe .....
once i got my studio back in some semblence of order, i worked on a 30 inch square commission .... 30 inches is a pretty big canvas! i papered it.....
i did a transparent glaze on it .... three different colors of yellow and a bit of raw umber to tone it down ...... 
i stamped it ..... using a green with white to gray it ....and a titch of turquoise to brighten  it...
i also worked on these five canvases .... the larger, 12 by 12 one, was mostly done ...but i used some raw umber on it to tone down some of the brightness..... and the other four are six by six, papered, then raw umbered as well ..... no ideas on what these will be .... i'll just keep adding background texture, depth and color til i have a notion of what they are to become.....
that picture above is a little glimmer of my studio self .... i work on a six foot square table .... piles of paints and mediums in the middle in clementine crates .....there's my diet coke..... arguably my biggest vice ... i ADORE diet coke ... really, i know i like it too much ... and periodically cut back ... but bad habits die hard! ..... you can see my nasty brayer on a red tool box.... that tool box was littleboy.e.beck.artist's when he was tiny .... he carried around his long gone plastic hammer and such ..... cool, happy memory tool box, so i kept it .... i LOVE containers .... more little spots to stuff things .... like that little elecrasol tin .....i bought it solely because of the jetson character .... couldn't wait til the detergent was gone ....in fact, months ago, i shuffled through the shelf at the store to get one of everyone, george, jane, judy, elroy ...... they are way groovy tins that now hold my this and thats .....

so that's my day....my canvases... my junk .... my diet soda ..... what did you do today? 

and what are you going to do tomorrow? i have a nagging suitcase in my closet .... don't know if i'll get to it! .... i have tennis ... can't wait for that .... and some more work on this big ole canvas i'm working on ..... i have a notion to stain some papers for it ..... we'll see if that's still my notion tomorrow .... 



1 comment:

Vallen said...

Watching your process is always so inspiring. It makes me want to just break out the paints.