Sunday, August 30, 2009

house rules

when my children get into squabbles, i try hard not to referee them ... i try to get them to opt out of them by saying "are you being nice?" ... 'who is being kind?' ... when generally neither arguer is being kind .... so now i've done a painting (no collage to it at all! horrors! what's up with that?) ... and when the kids aren't being kind, i just point .... the painting is about five days old ... and i've already pointed at it countless times as a reminder .... 

my little one said, did you write rule 2 to be funny? ... yes .... it's not that funny, she said ... 
everyone's a critic .... 

i did this painting on thursday with allison, along with some other pieces ... i have others to show you .. but will hopefully do that in the next day or so ... rather than give you a glut of art and explanation today .... 

did you have a happy weekend ... mine was rainy and slow paced ... perfection! 

tell me what you've been working on ... or what grand thing this week has in store for you ... 

7 comments:

cath c said...

i love it.

when i worked in elementary, we used to have the kids in the class write up their own class rules and usually the first one was respect everyone and the second was usually respect yourself. then the third was be a good friend.
all very useful rules, but be nice sums it up very nicely.

things working on. hhhmmm...getting the kids ready for school to start after labor day and cracking open the critiques that have come back on the manuscript.

Mary said...

love it!!
these would sell!!! :)

artmom said...

Everyone needs signs like that!!! Even people without kids!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Love, Roberta :)

shrink on the couch said...

I like that!

Kelly Warren said...

that is very cute! I love it! and the rules are perfect. :-)

slow weekend for me too..fall term started for me monday so my daily world is rather crazy at the moment.

MaryannL said...

Can I have one of these signs please? The girls have been squabbling a bit lately and I'd love to have something to point them to!