Saturday, January 3, 2015

pottery for the new year.

elizabeth, what do you do?
oh, i am an artist, i say.... 
what sort of work do you do?
i do mixed media collage primarily, i like using oddball bits and pieces of paper... from afar i have fairly traditional compositions, but up close, there are secrets hidden in the layers.... lately i've been doing a fair bit of drawing, mandalas, zentangles, calligraphy .... i fear that it is mostly because my studio has gotten to be such a state that i am shunning it by choosing to draw in the family room at the coffee table or at my workstation (otherwise known as the bar in the kitchen) ..... i also do pottery, but that's just a hobby.

i always down play pottery. i sell my canvases. i give away my pottery. and that's ok, i guess .... but i'm not sure why i do it.... some of my pottery is pretty darn good ... some of my pottery is awesome even.

last  semester, in the pottery class i take, i worked on this ....
in my head these are flowers. i know that's weird, cause they are houses, right? but each fat house has a spot at the bottom for me to put a stem ... i'm planting them. i think. this is where my pottery intersects with my painting, cause those houses sure look like my collage houses, right?



pottery class starts back up in just a week or so .... and i'll be back to making fat house flowers, i think ... and if my resolution for art works out, i'll have a couple canvases started before that too.... 

fat house flowers ... the marketing department might need to work on that .... 

No comments: