Thursday, January 3, 2008

true to my procrastinating self .....

because i procrastinate so well .... i've waited til the end of the day on january THIRD to broach the subject that i'm certain is weighing on your mind ..... right? you know what it is, dontcha? 
resolutions ..... are you wondering about my resolutions ... the one for 2007 .... the one to be for 2008? 

let's start with 2007 .... no, let's talk about 2006 ... my boy always asked me to play games ... always at inopportune moments .... while i was cooking dinner or reading to the littlest one .... five minutes after bedtime ... two minutes before it was time to leave for school, church, errands, anywhere .... so, that led to my 07 resolution ... to play 500 games .... it was the first resolution that my children were ever aware of .... i'm sure that they think that's the only kind there is .... they don't know the lose weight, stop smoking, don't cuss kind of resolutions that the rest of the world does .. they just know family friendly resolutions ..... and ... rah! success ... in 2007 i kept a journal of games played ... and we played 514 .... the last two were on new year's eve with sophie before we headed out to a party ...... 514 ... pretty good, huh .... i had a resolution and it took the whole year ... and we persevered ... and success!!! 

so... that leads to 2008 .... i have an awful lot of people who have asked what this year's resolution will be .... my answer for the last month has been "i have no idea" ..... well ... i had ideas .... in 06 ....or maybe it was 05... my resolution was to read and journal 100 books .... and i did .... and i enjoyed it ... so i thought about another book journal .... or a reading journal with my kids of all the reading we do ..... but at some point it is just a chore to keep up with that kind of thing .... so it wasn't too appealing .... more games? no .... the kids wanted it to be a playing outside resolution ...but ya know? i don't really want to go play outside with them all the time ... i like when they play outside WITHOUT me .... hmmmm ..... on flickr there are lots of picture a day groups .... self portrait every day groups .... creative every day blogs .... so much to choose from .... but .... i decided this year was going to be about me ... not my kids ...not someone else's group .... but me .... and right now, i'm all about art .... i'm an artist, ya know .... so i decided to set an art goal .... 

it was a process coming to this resolution .... i tallied up what i earned last year selling my art .... i tallied up the number of canvases i painted .... eighty six! .... here are 36 i completed .....
i also tallied up how many i sold ... how many i gifted .... and then thought about prints and pottery and ATCs and art boxes and ..... i thought about art .... there's a show coming up that i'm putting pieces into ...maybe a dozen or so ...that's in february..... and i'm having my first opening at the gallery that represents me here in town ....that's in may..... and ......
... well .... i don't have much art for these shows! i need to get working .... and i think i'll do three shows again next fall ... and NEXT year, that's 2009, i'm having a show in florida (two man show ...with my mom!!)

 ..... so .... with all that in mind my resolution is to do 100 canvases this year .... do you think i can? it is hard to imagine! that's a ton! i did as many as i can imagine this year, and i did 86 ... can i even do that many again? 

should they be huge like i love? 
medium sized that sell so well?
small ...that torture me? 
flowers?
monas? 
homes? 
abstracts? 
hearts? 
something else entirely? 

oh my ..... and in the meanwhile? my studio looks like christmas exploded all over it .... coating an already messy room in even more messiness .... 
so... short term goal? attack my studio disaster....
long term goal? lots and lots and lots of canvases ...... 

wish me luck! 

5 comments:

Darla said...

Best of Luck! I know you don't need any "wishes" to do this tho. I believe you can and you will :-)

As the lucky owner of one of your pieces I can also predict that all 100 of the them will be terrific.

Get to painting! Can't wait to see what you have to show us. Oh, and congrats on having your things in galleries and shows.

Darla

Anonymous said...

GO e GO!! I totally think you can do 100. Any and every size is good - because as you have taught me - some people want big some want small and other are in the middle!
YEAH for your all about e all about art resolution....

Mine is making many knitted gifts - so I am making things too
I am not putting a number on it -- but hmmm could I make 40 knitted gifts in 2007?? seems hard but some could be baby hats so they are quick -- I will keep a log too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a DELICIOUS goal! =) Good luck and HAVE FUN!

I know what you mean about Christmas exploding all over the art room...I was just (complaining) talking to my dh about this at dinner...I will be able to clean it all up next Tuesday (we are going out of town to visit my daughter in NC on Saturday and I just don't have time before then).

I can't wait to see all of your beautiful canvases! =)

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK!! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!!
Love ,Roberta :)

Heidi said...

You'll do it. I know you will! And we'll all watch! Yippee! 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10......99.100!