Friday, June 6, 2008

video killed the radio star

i'm certainly not a radio star .. but i had this song humming in my head all day ... i'd say singing in my head ... but i didn't know any words besides the chorus.....

well... i did it .... 
.... i was on a radio show ... the art full life with melissa galt on radio sandy springs ...... 
how was it? 
well.... i had fun .... it was a charge ... a kick ... fun and happy .... 
how'd i do? 
i have no idea .... i really didn't think about it being a radio show once we got going ... i was just having a happy chat with melissa ... she'd be great at a party .... i'm sure she can talk to anyone about anything ..... but since i forgot i was on the radio, i wonder if i sounded all giddy and goofy like i was at a party ..... and not thoughtful and reflective and intelligent .... eek!

and the show isn't listed on the website yet .... so i can't listen to it to find out how i did ..... and neither can you .... but .... once i hear it, if i don't sound too ridiculous, i'll give you the link here, so you can put a squeaky voice with this blog self and my happy paintings ..... 
my day started with errands with little.e.beck.artist .... then some painting .... i worked on the backgrounds that i had started yesterday ..... i'm working on four of them .....i worked on the background glazing a bit and then did some letter stamping for textual texture over the map backgrounds .....
not much painting and then it was time to go to the radio show ....i'm not a fixy girl ... i'm kind of what you see is what you get ... but it momentarily crossed my mind that i wasn't sure what to wear to an interview ... granted, radio, and no one would see me ... but i still had a moment of wonder .... i got out of my painty clothes and just put on some usual stuff .... but i wore my favorite orange shoes and the orange ring that little.e.beck.artist gave me ...any day gets upgraded if you wear orange shoes ..... little.e.beck.artist told me i was beautiful and asked to take my picture .... i've cropped it to just the important orangeliscious bits here:
one question that i remember being asked on the show was how does being an artist effect my family .... looking at this last picture make me think, oh, i'm so busy painting that my dog goes a little longer than she should between baths .... eek! ..... i guess that's what i'll be doing this weekend ... how bout you? any grand plans? 


p.s ....the next thing on my artistic agenda ... my next goal ... my next step on the journey as an artist known as e ...... is to make a website .... so ... let's hear it ... give me advice ... do it myself somewhere? where? get someone else to design it? whom? help me .... give me advice .... 

9 comments:

aj said...

About a website . . . Honestly e, I think they are over rated, and over PRICED!

The ONLY reason I have one (and it's actually a web PAGE on the Crafters Showcase web site) is because it's FREE. And only one page and very quick to email the webmistress with changes. (which I MUST do very soon, since I changed the store hours!)

Anynoooooo . . . even back when I had a REAL web site with shopping cart and all, I never sold that much. My blog gets WAY more hits than the web site ever did.

And now the web page is just a 'basic info page' and refers visitors to the blog.

People are more inclined to 'share' their favorite blog, or Etsy seller or Flickr site than web site.

I really think that with your blog, Etsy and Flickr that you have a very good 'web presence'.

Besides, you have to remember that more time on the computer to maintain a web site will mean LESS TIME FOR ART!

Just my thoughts . . .

aj @ Sophie's

Kelly Warren said...

website advice...i'm pretty happy with mine! it was done by pappashop. www.pappashop.com. it's very easy to manage (you do it yourself!) and they have ready built sites for you to choose from or you can have one of their designers build you a custom site based on what you want. mine was custom; it was also very affordable. aj has a point, too, though. you have a great blog, a great flickr site and an etsy store. a website just might be one more thing for you to keep up with. good luck with whatever you decide!

Darla said...

Great backgrounds, love the orange shoes and ring, can't wait to hear your interview. As for websites, I know nothing about them.

Have a super weekend!

Darla

random notes said...

Now, I"M singing oh oh oh oh oh!
The family journal book looks great and I would love to sell it here at Random Arts in Saluda. Who is the publisher? Gotta have it!!!!
Love the alpha piece girl. Stay happy and send some of that "happy medicine" to me.
Jane

random notes said...

PS - You don't need a website because you have a GREAT blog.
Jane

3rdEyeMuse said...

hmmm ... don't think you need a website since you have one ROCKIN blog (plus Etsy & Flickr), but if you really feel strongly about it, contact the peeps at sites that you really dig and find out what they did ... who they used ... what kind of platform ... do they use a webmaster/mistress or maintain the site themselves ... what kind of expense are they experiencing and have they noticed an increase in web traffic ... it's a good place to start, at least. And then go with the decision that comes from your gut.

Today By Design said...

Elizabeth,
You absolutely need a website, but then I tell that to every artist. You will want to house your blog on your website as it is driving traffic and that is awesome.

Unless you are a web wizard don't do it yourself. Go to elance.com and put in a proposal and see what you get, you can even stipulate how much you want to spend.

You need to include a pic of you, portfolio of work, bio, your blog, and if you want to sell off the site, either paypal or a shopping cart.

The sooner the better and then each piece you sell, put a sticker on the back with your contact and webaddress so that when folks share your work with friends, they'll know where to find you.

Go forth and be Art Full! M

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear your happy, giddy voice on the radio!

I don't know anything about websites, so no help here. But Melissa does make a great point - if the blog is driving traffic - it might be nice to have EVERYTHING in just one spot. So...there is my advice from one who knows nothing about this sort of thing! =)

I LOVE your shoes and ring and even your doggy that you say needs a bath.

shrink on the couch said...

now you've got ME singing that song! (great song, btw.. such a catchy refrain)

and how groovy that you are now a radio star! hope you post the link.