Tuesday, January 13, 2009

rah ... painted the day away ....

i spent about four hours painting today ...not quite the same as what i can get done when i live a stairway away from my studio .... but not bad at all .... i'm staying pretty motivate and working hard while there ...not doing my usual dawdling quite as much ... i think i could be a psychological case study for procrastination .... let's talk about that later .... 

so ... here are some of the things i worked on today .... 

this, below, is a bit of a long turquoise canvas ... i'm doing a heartstring painting on it .... and instead of my usual thin washes and glazes i used super chunky acrylic .... 
i got some groovy texture .... the tricky thing for me is that i want my pieces to sell .... and my heartstring pieces sell so quickly and easily .... but i don't want to just churn out the same thing .... so i try to make them different .... the difference here being the texture .... i so love doing the backgrounds ... did this one not knowing what i was putting on it ... then decided to do the heartstring ... and blobbed on fat paint .... way different effect ... i think i like it ... it was fun to do anyway ... i'll tell you tomorrow if it worked out for me ..

and below are the chunky hearts that are going to be haning from that chunky branch ... i though i'd finish this piece today, but, ya know, i didn't factor in how long the fat paint bits would take to dry .... so ... lots of work, yet alas, no finished pieces .....

and below... more chunky paint ... branch in fact ... once you do one and it turns out cool, you try another .... the disembodied branch bit is where the nest shall sit .... but again ...that pesky drying issue had me slowed down on the art completion ....
look at the floor above here .... lots of paint and mess ... maybe i should redo the studio... including painting the floor ... hmmm ... i'll put that on a list .....

next we have a tree ... and ... yes, you guessed it ... chunky ... think impasto paint ... i think that's what you call it when you don't spread it out smoothly ...... ( i couldn't stand not knowing ... i just looked up impasto ... i was right, spelling and all ) .... this photo is quite indicative of me ... off on the left you can see the diet coke, the mints, and the pink iphone .... not to mention all the other mess! 
and last, i have three monopoly paintings ... all picked up and taken away by a decorator to show a client .... we'll cross our fingers on that one, right?  which one would you buy if your cute decorator brought them to you ..... i know, i know .... most of us don't have decorators ... but just play the game ... which one would you pick and what room would you put it in .....

tomorrow i have pottery and a plan to finish at least one painting .... and do laundry, go to the bank, exercise, buy a space heater for my studio, go to two basketball games, cook a divine healthy dinner, blog, catch up on flickr, read my book club book that i'm woefully behind on ...... i could go on ... but i probably won't get much past pottery done on the list!

happiness to you and yours! doing something artsy ..... 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

never been first to comment....

love the Monopoly pieces and the smallest one is my favorite. "My decorator" (ha ha) would have me hang it in the kitchen or the kids room if there were kids here regularly! But since I only have grandkids here occasionally, I would hang it in the kitchen.....hint-hint!

Impasto - you have done impasto before - I am looking at a piece with chunky alphabet letters along the bottom! Monopoly card vase and pink flowers with metal centers.

be careful with a space heater! :-)

Darla said...

The one with the purple house and the edging of board you can still see.

I'd hang it in my sunroom - my happy room, with the computer, with great natural light for reading, the place I spend most of my time.

Darla

aimee said...

i LOVE peeps into your studio and seeing what you're working on. not sure a hedgehog would be such a good pet for you to have around, though. with all of these paints and tempting goodies, it would have way too much fun exploring in your studio!

Kelly Warren said...

loving those chunky hearts!

3rdEyeMuse said...

diggin all that TEXTURE! nice move.

yep, I'd cave ... if I can afford that decorator, I could afford all three & would, too! likely said decorator would want them in different spaces, but me being me, they'd be hung in a sort of cluster - houses & games - where eles? in the living room, of course. :)

impasto on, art goddess!