Thursday, July 24, 2008

HUGE artsy endeavors ....

today was a joy!
yesterday was a joy!
day before that? yup ... a joy .... 
i've had the good fortune of having loads of art time on my hands ..... 

i started with 18 small canvases .... six inches squared .... i chose 18 cause it fit nicely into the tidy spot on my table .... 

i papered all 18 canvases with a map of north carolina ... that i had carefully cut into nearly square 5 3/4 by 5 7/8 rhombus .... good thing i'm not a perfectionist .... cause there were none that remotely squared actually ...... so, anyway ..... 18 maps on canvases ... and then some yellow ....and turquoise and green and orange and a titch of pink ..... all dry brushed heavy acrylics over the map ... but thin enought that the map is still entirely evident ..... 
then i took a deeper yellow and used it to stamp letters on .... for a bit of texture, some color interest, and to hide some map bits ..... 

then? i added words .... and i was nervous ... so i started with easy (for me) words ..... egg.... nest .... but feather? i'm not sure that's easy ... but it certainly thematically goes along with the artist i am becoming ..... 
and then .... this photo is from near the end of today ..... i have 18 canvases with backgrounds... 12 canvases with words ..... and four with iconic pictures ..... 
here's one ..... egg ..... ta dum ... finished ... the 73rd painting of the year ... and officially the first of a new series ..... 

and one happy shout out to my pal al ... she spent the afternoon painting with me! rah for that ..... 

and now .... the truth about me ... yesterday's post ? prizes and questions and fabulous participation from my faithful readers ..... did you read it? did you see it? did you participate? are you going to be the prize winner(s)?  .... so.... back to the truth .... i did that post because i was too tired to upload my egg picture ..... 

but tomorrow ... or the next day .....the next time i need a happy blog diversion, i am going to answer each and every one of those questions ... some of them are excellent and well worthy of a prize .... so keep asking them .... quantity is a lovely goal ..... i'm loving getting them .... 

any questions .... ?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! And I thought my 4 canvases in 2 days was alot...=)

They look lovely!

Very Mary said...

Brilliant!

Unknown said...

this is AMAZING!! i loved reading about your process. can't wait to see more!

3rdEyeMuse said...

thanks to you my lame excuses have become nearly pathetic. boo hiss. OR ... WAIT ... maybe that should be INSPIRED ... I think I can, I think I can, I THINK I CAN!

*giggles* guess we'll see. :) I'm loving this new series ... that little egg is precious.

Sew Bettie said...

Your studio space looks amazing. Perfect for creating!

shrink on the couch said...

wow, look at allllll those canvases ! you are rocking the art. you've found your groove!

Chris said...

Oh, so this answers one question:

The egg came first !!!

hahaha