Friday, April 13, 2007

right brain artsiness

i had an art day date at allison's today....i worked hard on my landscape painting......at this point, it is anyone's guess whether or not i'll be done by the 18th.....that's the deadline...eek! .......though i worked well on it, and i like what it's looking like, it is not photo worthy again......
i also did a drawing at church....and til just this moment i didn't remember it as an art endeavor of the day...but it most certainly was....the first through fifth graders do rotation learning.....over a couple weeks they rotate through centers.....one of the centers is art......so one art teacher does the same lesson til all the classes have had a turn at it.....the theme of this rotation is creation......and the art lesson is a panel picture of creation......so i made one as the example......
the paper was about 6 inches by 18.....so long and thin like a panel......and i drew in black sharpie.....like making a stain glass window......and did a vague dark and light and a sun and moon and stars and a rain drop and an ocean and fish and birds and plants and animals and ......the far edge was god in a hammock......you could just see his nose and hair poking out of the hammock......so it is an interpretation of the creation story all overlapping and meshing into each other.......then you color in with crayons.....sophie helped me...and voila.....a very nice sunday school time learning about, and appreciating that first chapter of the bible....
and.....i was going to do this yesterday.......since that is when i got it......a link, a test, an interesting moment of self examiniation....
are you left brained or right brained? try it out.....what are you? the score is out of 18 .......if you are 9 and 9 ...you are balanced....neither side of your brain is dominant......my artsy pal, allison, was 17 and 1 to right brained....about as artsy as you can possible be...... she is SO right brained....not that i can be a finger pointer! i was 16 of 18 for right brain.....so what are you....take the test! ...then comment or email me....i want to know!!! what are you?
....i just administered the test to my long suffering husband......heretofore referred to as balanced boy.....he is 10 on left brain...and 8 for right brain.......i thought he'd be MORE left brained than that even.....but i guess when you are this right brained...even a little left brained looks straight and narrow.......but thinking about it.....i bet a totally right brained soul might have a TON of trouble living with a totally left brained soul.......just for the clutter vs control issues.......
now, i know that when i go to the flickr craft room sites, and someone has a gorgeous organized fabu art studio that is free of clutter.....that they are some peculiar form of left brained arist! ........and it is ok that i choose to embrace the art mess, rather than clean it! i'm just being my right brained self.......

4 comments:

Cheryl Prater said...

15 Right to 3 Left. My husband scored 13 Left to 5 Right - see why it works? I make him laugh and he reads the maps.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I was 11 to 7. I'm going to take that as I'm balanced! Maybe it's due to the fact I do my office/studio is just that...a balance office and studio! I have to mix work and art...the work pays the bills! LOL Thanks for the fun link! oh. My guess is my sis R. will be close to me. ;)

Debbi Crane said...

i don't even HAVE a left brain

Anonymous said...

Oops....I thought I left a comment yesterday....guess I didn't do it right....anyway, I was more balanced than Heidi --10 left and 8 right. Your brother got 6 left and 12 right. Your two nephew were almost perfectly balanced as well. :)
--Roberta :)