Wednesday, April 11, 2007

pottery day




it was a rainy, gray day today...but i woke up, ever the optimist, and put on shorts..... and, as i suppose frequently happens to eternal optimists, i had cold legs most of the day! serves me right for wishing spring here when it is decidedly not here....or, maybe this is spring, and i'm wishing for summer....regardless....i had a fabulous day FULL of art...yippee....i had the kind of day MADE for being an art blogger......

i stayed up LATE last night doing some art on deadline that i'm not going to speak about ...hush....for fear i will be jinxed....not that i really believe in jinxes...i just don't want to talk about it.....
so, i went to bed all artsy energized and had trouble sleeping......

my dear husband was out of town , but i did not wake up to an empty side of the bed....i woke up with not one, but TWO children in my bed......thank heavens julia stayed in her own bed or we would have had to sleep stacked up.......we were squashed.....

then, got the kids off to school...
me off to pottery....

i picked up TWO glorious platters that i am SO very happy with....last week i picked up two platters that i HATED...the glaze had gone all gross and blechy....but today...loveliness......relief...... i also picked up six feet (that will be tomorrow's blog, i believe) and i got a tiny nativity in for its high firing.......
then, i played with clay.....

i used chocolate clay and made another small nativity....for a friend who asked for one before christmas ...and i had to say no, i was out of time for making them...so, now i'm getting ahead! ......planning for christmas in 8 months......

i used gray speck clay and made two alphabet platters.....

and best of all.....i chit chatted and giggled and guffawed with martha and carolyn at pottery...they are actually largely the reason i GO to pottery sometimes...it is the best way to keep up with them.......

so.....i came home and cleaned up my art studio...it looked like my bead drawers had been exploded onto the tables......and paper and fourteen pairs of scissors.......
i've finally faced up to my attention deficit scissor disorder.....i put scissors down and then can't find where i put them....my solution (rather than medication or tying them to my wrist) ....my solution is to have LOADS of scissors on the table.....i'll count sometime...but i bet i have more than a dozen......so they are scattered all over the table ...except on days like today when i fill up cups with them......and they look all organized.....really they aren't organized, they are pre-lost....

so, upon cleaning up my art room, i rearranged about 20 canvases that are ALL started......just the backgrounds...just the easy part is done......oh well! one day they'll become something more than just backgrounds!! they are on my flickr site if you want to see them! (i'm still SO proud when i actually get a hotlink in my blog...yippee) ....so.....i decided to photograph them in the hopes that one day i would learn to use photoshop ...my pal allison is a photoshop kinda girl.....and she said i'd appreciate the backgrounds one day.....so.....i'll just wait patiently for my one day! in the meanwhile, my backgrounds could pass for minimalist art.....not that my art has ever been anything remotely minimalist!!

then, with a clean studio, what's left to do? did you guess? yes, if your studio is clean, the only thing to do is make it messy again......and i globbed a boat load of paint on a four foot canvas.......in preparation for my art date tomorrow with allison and carol...i couldn't wait til tomorrow to start painting...i had to start early.....the more art in a day, the better.....hooray....i'm waking up to an art date!! ...

actually....i'm waking up to a tennis date with dana and tricia.....i'm not a great tennis player...and we usually laugh so hard while playing tennis that i really think i'll end up wetting my pants one of these times......i'm pretty sure that is NOT standard tennis protocol......it's also why the three of us will certainly never be allowed in a league! ......
so...after a cold and damp tennis lesson, an art day for me.......

tomorrow will be my fourth day in a row of MAJOR art time...not just squeaking out a few minutes to doodle or sketch or whatnot.......tomorrow will be my fouth day in a row of full blown art bliss.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh
stay tuned!

OH! and now i'm doing an edit.....and addition....a bit more......this is an add on....i just went to check on
allison's flickr site and OH! i saw my name right there.....she's about the sweetest friend in the whole entire world....tra la la......and did i tell you? i've got an art date with her tomorrow.....yippeeeeeee

1 comment:

random notes said...

You are so upbeat and hhhhaaaa ppppppyyyy that i might even read your blog every day so it will rub off on me. how do you do it all? however you do it I want a little of it. you make me smile.
Jane