Friday, April 6, 2007

flickr fun.....

i keep photos of much of my art on flickr......i've been doing flickr for six months about...a week or two more than six months i think....and just yesterday, i reached 5 THOUSAND hits.....so.....five thousand times, people have gone to my flickr sight and looked at my art...that really just blows my tiny little mind!!! i wonder if my mom has been just hundreds of those? i was with melinda yesterday, and we wondered if ashley had been a lot of those views......melinda's words: " do you think about half of those were ashley?"

anyway...here i am to tell you why i have loved flickr.....it has been very good for me!

when you are on flickr, you can join groups.....you join a collage group and post your collages to it....folks look and comment..oh, lovely collage.......or, you post to the orange group all your orangey art....and people with profound appreciation for orange praise your phenomenal use of the color.....really! ......i've actually gotten to know quite a few artists this way, in a cyber speak kind of "know" ........artists whose art i really appreciate or relate to.......it's been good......great even, to chat about art stuff with other artists in such a free wheeling forum......

but there's one group....it is small (some groups have jillionkabillion members)....this totally groovy group is called the deadline painting group .....the guy in charge, shakespeare monkey, thinks up a topic, gives us a deadline....and there you have it......a must do painting......the first one i did was for the theme "celebration" ...and it was just before christmas.....sophie, what do you want for christmas.....your art, mommy.....oh,what art do you want....that one... she points to a HUMONGATOID four foot canvas with poppies.....honey, that's too big, what will you do with it......just keep it in my room.......so my husband says later, sophie, what do you want for christmas....art, mommy's art, can you get that for me? .........like she isn't sure he has the pull to get a painting for her! .....
so.....i did my deadline painting for celebration, with sophie sunshine in mind....and this is what i gave her for christmas......

success! so i tried again....
the next deadline challenge was "flickr inspired" ....so i found a photo on flickr that i adored.....asked the photographer if they minded me using it for inspiration......and then did my interpretation of it....took the subject matter and then interpreted it in an eeeeee way.....
here is the LARGE collage i did as my interpretation:

these pears are mongoHUMONGO....four feet wide....three feet tall.....i love them! if i deconstructed this and told you all the bits that went into it...you know, told you its story, it would be forever long.......my favorite element is the maps i used for the actual pears.......i got them at a welcome center on a road trip....north carolina, i think.......

and...lastly....the whole reason i posted ALL that......i have another deadling coming up SOOOOOON...... the theme is spring landscape.......ack!!! i don't really do landscapes! ......i've been working it hard......started twice and painted over (obliterated) my efforts......that's ok....it just adds character to the canvas.......but i think it is an interesting conundrum to have an assignment and do it like me....i could just draw or paint a landscape....one that doesn't look like my current style...my me-ness....... so....i'm trying hard to do a landscape that incorporates text and print and letter texturing and stencils......not leaving a lot of room for trees and such!!! .....so......be on the lookout......something to look forward to in e's blogland!

now i'm crossing my fingers to see if my pictures showed up in the right spots.....and if my links work.......abracadabra!

No comments: