Thursday, November 27, 2008

gobble gobble

on thanksgiving, sometimes you can be the main chef ... in charge of everything....the turkey, the timing, the menu ... sometimes you are the second in command, being the main chef's right hand man, knowing what to do before you are asked .... sometimes you are a helpful third ...maybe making pies, doing as bidden .... and sometimes ... like me today? you are fourth .... i'm not in charge of anything ... but i peeled potatos, chopped celery and onions, helped set the table ... in charge of nothing .... just the way i'd choose! when i am at my own home for a holiday? i'm a bossy number two ... my husband is a better chef and enjoys it more .... so i just grocery shop and tell him what we're having and he does the number one spot .....i'm a grand onion slicer ... i'm a fine potato peeler ... a happy table setter ..... and even a capable dishwasher ..... for the chance to be all these things for the people i love is my greatest blessing today .... that ... and the pumpkin pie ... can't forget the pumpkin pie when you are counting your blessings ....

in my free time between kitchen chores, i've been knitting, as donna guessed ..... i'm half way through that skein of yarn now ....

hope your day of thanksgiving is lovely .....

what's your favorite bit?

2 comments:

Kelly Warren said...

hmm...love me some pumpkin pie too, but my favorite (still a dessert) is the carrot cake. dh and i were in charge today, with a house full, so i'm finally enjoying some quiet time now that everyone's gone and all mine are in bed. hope you had a great day!

3rdEyeMuse said...

I went north for the holidays and landed in the land-o-the-50's seriously stunning the ladies that I was NOT the cook in our house (yes, I can make a BOX of mac-n-cheese, can warm soup from a can & follow directions, but I would much rather bake the treats & let him make the eats), so a dishes did I wash and wash and wash ... it's all good ... in the end we shared really good food, great conversation & I was able to take 800+ photo's. :)