Wednesday, November 16, 2011

adulthood and god's blue oldsmobile

can there possibly be a single defining moment of moving from childhood to adulthood? is it your bar mitzvah at 13? is it your 16th birthday and getting your drivers license? is it graduation from high school? college? grad school? getting married? having a baby? voting? i think it is probably a gradual thing that you slip in and out of ... i certainly thought i was adult at 16 when i started driving ... i certainly didn't act like an adult my freshman year in college when i stayed up late late late every night cause no one told me to go to sleep .... the girls on my hall played a whole lot of late night cards ... and midnight four square outside near the library .... not so adult .... i think my 14 year old freshmen are awfully grown up ... but i still remind them to brush their teeth and hang up their towels ....
this photo is from the 1924 nursing school graduation for ingeborg marie lokensgard ... she was most surely an adult....she was in her 20s in this pic .... she was my paternal grandmother ... i called her ga ... all her grandchildren did ... i remember in first grade, i went to a church school, the teacher was doing a religion lesson ... and she asked us what our image of ga was .... who ga was to us ... and i said she drove a blue oldsmobile down from minnesota every winter, stayed with us at christmas, then spent the rest of the winter in miami with grampa miltion .... i was MORTIFIED when i found out i was supposed to be talking about god not ga .... ya know the sistine chapel of god with white wavy hair? that's the hair ga had when i was little ... so there is some resemblance, i suppose ....






2 comments:

Kelly Warren said...

I love this story. And what a cool name your Ga had. I never knew my paternal grandmother, but I called maternal grandmother Nana, and my maternal great grandmother Bunny...who was married to Banddaddy. :-)

allison strine said...

I ADORE this post. If I were God I would want to be driving a blue Oldsmobile, as long as it was a convertible so my long flowing God-like locks would cause gasps of admiration.

In all seriousness? Ga and Julia have the exact same eyes.